“He Made This School Happy”

Samantha Wray

Samantha Wray

Angelique Trotter, Writer

All school year, there has been one name that has been floating around campus since the beginning of the year. It is the one name that makes almost everyone smile. The name belongs to a man that was fun, kind, and strict when need be. Mr. David Knox is a man that everyone knew, loved, and could always depend on. He was the man to be.

Then rumors about his leaving began to surface. No one had the heart to believe it, but then, a more than formal letter was sent home to our parents confirming our fears. We got back from winter break, and like a ghost, he was gone. Now all we carry on our backs is the memory of who he was to us. Mr. Knox is a man everyone loves and misses dearly. With him no longer at Corbett, all we can do is think about the past, and consider the future of Ray D. Corbett Junior High.

Before we went on our winter break, everyone knew that Mr. Knox was going to retire, but no one was actually ready for it to happen. When we returned from our brief period of holiday joy, we all realized something was missing. That something was the mood Mr. Knox spent five and a half years spreading around the school just by simply being there. All of sudden, we Mustangs realized we weren’t prepared. When people found out Mr. Knox was retiring many, like Alyssa Andrews, were not happy.

“When I found out,” Andrews says, “I was honestly upset. He was an awesome principal.” Andrews, a student since 7th grade, was very fond of Mr. Knox, and says she will always miss him.

Aside from being our principal, Mr. Knox was responsible for a lot more within the SCUCISD. Not only was he named Administrator of the year, he also served as the Chair for the Special Education Department. He has spent twenty-four years working in this school district, and has spread his heart everywhere he goes. He has been named as Paraprofessional of the year, has worked as a teacher at Clemens, and was even the principal at Allison L. Steele. Mr. Knox is a man with a wholesome and kind spirit who was always there to help both teachers and students.

Tiamani Harrison, eighth grader, is one of the people who Mr. Knox so graciously helped in their time of need. She talks about a time earlier in the school year where there was a mistake in her science grade. The mistake threatened her entire athletic career. However, after talking to Mr. Knox, he was able to correct the mistake, and Harrison’s grade and athletic career were both saved. She is more than thankful for the help he offered her, much like other students who have received a helping hand from our former principle.

In the minds of many Corbett Mustangs, Mr. Knox will be hard to replace. Sure, his position can always be filled, but the mood and essence he brought to our school is one that is unique to only David Knox, and cannot just be replaced. He brought something with him to this school that just made everyone feel proud to be at Corbett. Nearly everyone at our school will miss him, but why we miss him may differ for each and every one of us. One thing we all share though, is the positive attitude he shared with everyone.

Andrews says, “It was fun always having him around.” She says she was always happy to see him, because he just understood his students. He always understood that sometimes, we are not all having a good day. She puts beautifully, “He made this school happy.”

Like mentioned previously, Mr. Knox has a position that can always be filled, but the mood he brought to our school is what made him special. Our school might not be ready for a new principal yet, but we are all going to have to just swallow our fears. There really is no other choice.

When asked if she is ready for a change, Tiamani Harrison says. “I’m not really ready. I have only known Know for like five months. I was just getting used to him, and then he retires. Now I have to adjust to a completely new style of discipline.”

No matter how he did it, Mr. Knox affected everyone at Corbett in many different ways. For some people, he made them smile by simply saying good morning when walking down the halls. For others, it was him shooting three-pointers in the gym. When Mr. Knox walked into a room, everything changed. The mood just got better. When he dropped in the classroom for quick visits, people didn’t get scared and quiet. Faces would light up and the kids would stop what they were doing to listen to what he had to say. Mr. Knox once said to a class, that you have to listen to people around you. If they are talking, you shouldn’t just be hearing them, you should be listening to them with not only your ears, but your mind as well. That is what Mr. Knox did. He didn’t just hear us, he was always listening.

We Corbett Mustangs are all going to miss Mr. Knox, and it is scary to think that one day people won’t know who he is. However, even though he might not be around for our next generation of Mustangs, he will always be present in our hearts in minds, taking his place as that one principal. The one that we love and miss. We here at Corbett, both students and staff, thank Mr. David Knox for all his help and achievements over the years. Now we can only hope you are enjoying retirement as much as we enjoyed having you around. Thank you Mr. Knox.

1 Comment

One Response to ““He Made This School Happy””

1. kaelee on April 25th, 2017 11:37 am

oml i love this article its so true though!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• “He Made This School Happy”

Showcase

7th Grade Lady Mustangs Basketball Team Become Family

• “He Made This School Happy”

Arts & Entertainment

Fundraising helpful in many ways

• “He Made This School Happy”

Showcase

Kicking it up a notch

• “He Made This School Happy”

Showcase

Running and Jumping into Track

• “He Made This School Happy”

Showcase

Journalism expectations vs reality

• “He Made This School Happy”

Showcase

New Soccer Team Gives Bright Future to Corbett

• “He Made This School Happy”

Showcase

Projects: Learning with a Twist of Creativity

• “He Made This School Happy”

Showcase

Corbett Staff Cracks Down on Student ID’s

• “He Made This School Happy”

Showcase

Shooting Hoops and Scoring Goals

• “He Made This School Happy”

Showcase

Grades: Expectations vs Reality

“He Made This School Happy”