School Hours: Should they Change?

Emilie Miller, Writer

Many students want school hours to be shorter or longer in order for them to ask more questions, or to sleep in. Many are undecided and do not have a problem with school hours. Should the school board members take charge and answer this need for more sleep? Or should they turn them down and keep things the same?

Sleep. What a wonderful thing! However, most teens do not agree. Studies show that teens are supposed to get eight to twelve hours of sleep each night, but only fifteen percent of teens get eight-plus hours of sleep at night. This may affect students’ learning experience at school because students may be tempted to fall asleep in class. Should parents interfere, or should they leave their children sleep deprived?

“Sometimes I feel tired during the day if I go to bed late. Going to bed late and waking up early isn’t enough sleep. I can tell that other kids are tired during the day because they fall asleep in class,” said 7th grader Brooke Bimslager.

“I think the time my child wakes up is good. I’m satisfied with my child’s ability to get up in the morning. It will prepare her for the working world when she has a job and has to get up early,” said Mrs. Bimslager, 7th grader Brooke Bimslager’s mom.

57% of teens participate in before or after school activities. This causes students to complain to adults and other students about their “lack of sleep.” Because of this problem, should students be able to rest during school? Is this decision fair to the teachers and staff who usually get less sleep than students?

“I do not participate in after school activities; however, I’m tired from lack of sleep. Because of this, I tend to have a hard time focusing in class. I know that I can’t blame it on school because it’s my fault if I go to bed late or put off homework until the last moment. I think that some people dislike having to wake up early to school,” stated Bimslager.

“This is not kindergarten. School is for school work. If they want to rest during lunch, do that. Taking rests during the day is not necessary. Seven hours isn’t that long to be at school. They can take naps at home. They need to prioritize their time better and get more sleep,” said Mrs. Bimslager.

Forty-two states in the United States currently start school before 8:30 am. The Center for Disease Control says that this is an appropriate time for students to start the school day. Many teens would rather start school after 9 am. If the school times change, wouldn’t it be an issue for parents that start work earlier in the day?

“I think that this time is too early,” stated Bimslager. “Teachers give us homework and we stay up late to complete it. Therefore, waking up at 6 am doesn’t give us enough sleep.”

“I think that 8 am is a great time to start. It’s not too early or too late. I like how it is staggered with the time for the elementary school. I believe that if school started later it would be an inconvenience to working parents,” Mrs. Bimslager said.

Although students do require more sleep and would like less hours at school, many parents disagree. In conclusion, although there is a lot of controversy over school times, board members will interfere when they feel is right.