New Lunch System, New Problems

Students use their phones during lunch

Students use their phones during lunch

Students use their phones during lunch

Madasyn Morin, Writer

Eighth graders are adjusting after the lunch system changed from last year, teachers are becoming accommodated to a new teaching schedule and seventh graders are changing from their intermediate lunch schedules to their new lunch experience.

This year instead of two lunches for eighth grade and two for seventh they now have three lunches with a combination of both grades. This causes crowded tables and often not enough room for everyone to sit at their preferred table. Though this is a good system, students are finding problems with the limited space they have while in the cafeteria.

“You can barely get into a spot without someone being there or getting yelled at because it was ‘originally’ their spot,” said Jason Parrish Osburn, an eighth grade student in B lunch.

To get out of the cramped and crowded lunch tables, many students end up heading outside as soon as possible. When students aren’t allowed to go outside many people sit in crowded tables and try to make room for everyone to fit.

As both the grades are combined for lunch and space becomes very limited, tensions rise between the seventh and eighth graders. Complaints are being made against the seventh graders by several eighth graders who have felt their space was invaded. Both grades have several arguments against the other and it causes lunch to be a harsher place. Many eighth graders feel they should be treated as the more respected group and seventh graders have some issues with that.

“I don’t like some of the seventh graders. They sit too close to me and get annoying,” said, Ashley Davis, eighth grader in B lunch.

Most eighth graders feel the limited space and combined lunches isn’t a good idea. seventh graders do things to annoy the eighth graders and eighth graders do things to cause problems for the seventh graders. Many eighth graders and seventh graders are becoming closer, but is it the right kind of close? Relationships in the cafeteria are starting to be based off of rude words and fighting over spots. Many students aren’t liking how close they all have to sit together.

Combining pride, lunch and class can cause an awkward split for B-lunch and class time can cross over to pride time instead of using the time they are given. Some students in B lunch have to have their first part of the class, then lunch, class again and finally pride. This can disrupt the flow of the class and can cause students to become distracted during lunch and return to class unfocused. Students’ learning is interrupted but then continued and this can cause problems with the grades of students in B-lunch. Another problem with combining a class, lunch and pride is a lot of teachers use some of, or all of the pride time to continue with class. This causes problems for students who need time to work on other assignments and are told to continue with the lesson. They don’t have time at home or they forgot to do it the night before but either way, students need their pride time and for a lot of students their pride time is used for class.

Amy White, a seventh grade ELA teacher, said she didn’t believe there was enough class time, when asked if she believed there was enough time without going into pride.

As it is apparent, teachers and students have concerns about the class time crossing into the pride time but it is also apparent this system is working well so far.

There are some problems with Corbett’s new lunch system but there were also problems with the old system. Students and faculty have had their concerns about the new system but overall it has been working well. There are less transitions, giving less opportunities to get into trouble within the hallways. Students are communicating more with the other grade. Though they are experiencing a change in the way our schedule is from last year, eighth graders have adjusted quickly to this new lunch schedule. Seventh graders coming from the intermediate schools weren’t here for last year’s schedule so they didn’t experience a change, but are adapting to a new school very well.

1 Comment

One Response to “New Lunch System, New Problems”

1. Salvador Ramos on January 22nd, 2018 10:30 am

I liked how you included details on how the seventh graders would not have known it was a change in the first place. Also how they are annoying I do agree with that. I really liked how the writing in this was very specific as to rather than changing the subject and making a filler paragraph. This is a very important thing to talk about.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• New Lunch System, New Problems

Sports

The Big Difference in MS, HS Sports

• New Lunch System, New Problems

News

The dangers the beach has…

• New Lunch System, New Problems

Student Life

Remind is the app for you!

• New Lunch System, New Problems

Student Life

How Students Keep Good Grades

• New Lunch System, New Problems

Student Life

School Work and Tests, A Big Source of Stress

• New Lunch System, New Problems

Arts & Entertainment

What Art Means to the World

• New Lunch System, New Problems

Arts & Entertainment

A Night Of Corny Fun: Corbett Choir Field Trip

• New Lunch System, New Problems

Sports

Last Volleyball Season For 8th Graders

• New Lunch System, New Problems

Arts & Entertainment

Behind The Scenes of Corbett’s Drama Club

• New Lunch System, New Problems

Arts & Entertainment

Be Creative, Join Art Club

New Lunch System, New Problems