Excessive Homework Causes Students Stress

Emily Layton, Writer

Is homework a cause of depression for students? Excessive school/ homework can be overwhelming for some, and others may even get too stressed.

Students may be getting too much work on top of other activities they take part in, and that can be very stressful at times. Many students don’t get their homework and schoolwork done before the due date because they’re too busy trying to get work for other classes done.

How necessary is homework really? Teachers hand out homework thinking that it’ll keep our minds fresh, but is it actually beneficial to students? Some students think that homework is stressful, and there’s sometimes too much to handle.

“I am stressed out because of the amount of work I have to do and most of the time I can’t get it finished,” said Conner Trovato, a seventh grade student.

Teachers may think that they’re just giving you “one sheet of homework” per night, but it slowly adds up throughout the day and, before you know it, there’s seven sheets of homework calling your name. There’s homework, but there can also be a lot of schoolwork throughout the day.

“I have a lot of work I need to do from third to seventh period and the homework is okay I guess, yet it’s pretty difficult to keep up with,” said Trovato.

Students spend an average of 3.5 hours working on homework, and get an average of about seven hours of sleep. However, they should be getting 9 to 10 hours each night. Sleep deprivation can lead to minor to mild depression. Students also feel overwhelmed or stressed out because of too much work they have to get done.

Karina Duran, an eighth grader,  said that she sometimes feels overwhelmed when she has a lot of work to do at one time. Conner also said that he also feels overwhelmed because he has to focus on lots of homework.