Does procrastination affect you, your grades?

Landyn Jones, Writer

A very common habit seen in students and adults that is used quite frequently is procrastination. Although this habit can cause many problems, it may have its positives. Can this habit leave burdens on a person’s life?

Procrastination can cause assignments to be late, or cause bad grades due to doing the assignment last minute. Procrastination also has the tendency to cause a lot of stress and put a lot of stress on a person.

“Oh yeah, I feel like I fail a lot of assignments like projects because I put it off till the last minute,”  says 8th grade student Hailey Pompa.

There are many reasons why people procrastinate. Some people are simply too lazy, but others have more complex reasons, such as feeling disorganized, they don’t have the time, or they just don’t care enough.

“I don’t ever feel like doing my work,’’ says 8th grade student Kayla Meinke said.

Pompa also stated, “I do it a lot, mostly because I’m lazy and I don’t feel like doing the work.”

Now, a question you may be asking yourself is, “Is procrastination ever a good thing?’’ There could be things that you may be putting off, maybe even for a good reason. Maybe there’s something you have been asked to do that isn’t very smart.

“You might be procrastinating something you shouldn’t do,” Meinke said.

There are also ways you can help yourself prevent from procrastinating as much. Some things you can do is work on your task for 15-20 minutes after receiving it, break your assignment into small chunks, getting more organized, or even giving yourself a little pep talk, telling yourself you got this!

“Try not to put things off. Get into the mindset of if you do it now, you’ll have more time for yourself later,” Kayla Meinke stated.