Austin Package Bomb Mystery

Raquel Rodriguez, Writer

Just when we thought violence couldn’t get any closer, it’s showing up on our very doorstep. Package bombs are shocking and terrifying the world as several innocent lives are taken due to this terrible attack.

“This affects not only me, but it has brought fear to my whole family. It brought a sense of uncertainty,” said Socorro Lopez, mother of 3.

In the past, package bomb victims were usually the target of ex boyfriends/ girlfriends or stalkers. However the most recent attacks have seemed to target a specific group, African Americans. Anthony House and Draylen Manson were black activists who knew each other and attended the same church. Both were killed due to these horrendous package bombs. Additionally a 75 year old hispanic lady was critically injured from a package bomb that was meant for someone in connection to the before mentioned victims.

The consequences for the actions of package bombers do depend on the amount killed or injured but are severe. Ted Kaczynski, better known as the unabomber went on a bombing spree, which killed 3 people and injured 23.

He pled guilty to all the charges and was sentenced to 8 life sentences. He is currently serving those life sentences in United States Penitentiary Administrative Maximum Facility (ADX) which has been compared to prisons such as Alcatraz for its effectiveness of preventing escapes and its control over prisoners. He shares this prison with likes of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who was sentenced to death, Timothy McVeigh, who was also sentenced to death, and  Richard Colvin Reid who was sentenced to 3 life terms plus 110 years in prison. As you can see the consequences are severe which makes sense in why the Austin package bomber Mark Anthony Conditt killed himself when cops were closing in on him.

“I feel that he shouldn’t have killed himself and I feel that he should have suffered the consequences,” said Mia Ramirez, 7th grade student.

“It is sad that he didn’t find the help he needed, we don’t have the answers of why he did it. Maybe he could have helped other people in his situation by bringing us answers,” said Socorro Lopez.

The national campaigns around the world for violence prevention have reached an all time high. Supporters are calling for a reform on the laws for the selling of equipment, such as guns and bombs, to be limited. Supporters state that many deaths could be saved by just thoroughly background checking people wanting to buy these weapons. Not to mention that weapons are rarely used as self defense, as a person’s adrenal gland decides what decision that person takes in an emergency, which hardly ever ends well, especially if there is a gun involved. However as many objectors point out, gun ownership is their right and that gun laws don’t deter crime, the gun owner does. Additionally more restrictive gun laws won’t always prevent criminals from stealing weapons or people making stupid decisions. In the end many of these murderers are mentally incapable of handling weapons, making the process even more worrying.

“I believe we need tougher gun laws. Also I believe we need to offer and promote free counseling to the public. Someplace where people can get help right away and where they feel safe and confidential. Many people are crying for help and don’t know where to turn. This of course doesn’t excuse what he did,” said Socorro Lopez.

Although there seems to be a connection in the austin package bombs, nobody can either confirm or deny if it was a hate crime, as many officials are still confused about the motives and events that took place. There is simply not enough evidence to bring to light why the victims were chosen. Although some of the more fatal package bombs were at random there may always be a possibility that there is more to it than it apparent to us at the moment.

“I want to say no, it was not a hate crime. I didn’t hear anything to suggest that it was a hate crime. His video that he left behind did not appear to be a hate crime,”  said Socorro Lopez.

“ I think it was a hate crime, because someone ( of that same race or group) may have treated him poorly, leading to this,” said Mia Ramirez.