School Work and Tests, A Big Source of Stress

These students take a break from studying to pose for a picture.

Morgan Brien

Morgan Brien

Madasyn Morin, writer

A mix of tests, assignments, homework, friends, family, chores and many other school and non-school related activities are many of the big sources for stress. Towards the end of the year, not only do students have to handle these pressures of school, but they have to study and prepare for finals as well.

Stress can cause many different side effects for people. Some of the things stress can cause that almost everyone can relate to is a loss of sleep. Many students will stay up late studying or spend their night worrying about the next day. Students not getting enough sleep can cause serious problems and it can almost always be caused because of stress.

Bethany Gutierrez, a girl in 8th grade, said, “I’m tired a lot,” when I asked her what were some things she dealt with. Often students will be nervous and scared about future events that are causing them stress. “When I’m stressed I’m kinda nervous about everything,” said Jordan Parker, another student in 8th grade, discussed when I asked what stress did for her.

Preparing for finals can be a very stressful time for many students and often students don’t know how to handle that stress. During study sessions it’s important you take breaks and allow yourself some time to stretch and relax. Do things that help keep you awake and active. Keep the blood moving in your body and take time to move around. Studying late into the night won’t be helpful if you aren’t awake enough to remember it.

Gutierrez said, the thing helping her the most while studying was coffee and lot’s of it. Parker  suggested studying over a span of days rather than studying the night before.

Though many students are prepared for the finals and have the necessary materials for success, they still stress about the results. While many students are prepared for their tests, they are almost never prepared for their high levels of stress before they take the finals. Teachers spend the whole school year preparing students with learning devices, study material, tests and lesson plans but they never prepare students on how to handle all of these things. Students usually aren’t nervous about the tests itself, but the outcome from it.

Parker said she was a little stressed because she hopes she’ll pass yet she never mentioned any stress over taking the test itself. Gutierrez said, “I feel like they’re prepared for it but they still stress about it,” showing that many students do indeed feel prepared for the test but not the stress.

Different students will also have different approaches to studying and dealing with stress. Some take the approach of studying only the night before, while others see it more fit to study for a span of several days. Some students say they work better under higher pressure levels while others say less pressure, less of a risk of forgetting what you study. Studying up late the night before or studying hours at a time over several weeks are both different ways people can prepare for the test.

“I’d like to say that I would study for several days but I don’t. I just study and stress the night before,” said Gutierrez. While some students are more similar to her, others are more alike with Parker.

She said, “I think you should study for days because if you try to cram it into one night, you’ll forget it in the morning.”

High levels of stress are something students face head on every day. Not only is this a daily struggle, but it’s also a harsh battle for students around the time of finals. Different students have to face challenges unique to their own schedule and mind but no matter the student, it’s common for students to face stress. Each and every student is prepared for the finals but being prepared for the stress is what will bring success to them all.