Seventh Grade Students Share Their Thoughts on Their First Year at Corbett

Summer Nichols, Writer

Have Corbett eighth graders actually lost their mind or is it all just a misunderstanding? You might think that since we are older and this is our last year here we are just here to party, but really most of us don’t come to school with that mindset. It’s only natural to worry about the older kids in school, but is there really even a reason to be?

The transition between intermediate school and junior high is a struggle for most without a doubt, with not knowing where classes are, losing friends, meeting new people, and other factors.

One seventh grade girl says her goal for her Corbett years was to, “Just have fun” but she did admit she was a little scared about having no friends for this year.

Coming into a new environment, there are certain expectations that come along. Are all the classes extremely hard? Are the eighth graders really  as crazy as the stories they hear? Truth is, it’s not as drastic a change as you might think.

As it turns out, most seventh graders haven’t had a negative experience with any corbett eighth graders yet. seventh grade Melissa states that actually “A lot of them are nice and they don’t push people around.”

Another thing is stereotypes, believe it or not but not all eighth graders are ruthless bullies. Sometimes we forget that eighth graders and seventh graders are only one or two years apart and we aren’t so different. If you have had a negative experience with some eighth graders, trust me, we all aren’t like that.

A seventh grade boy gives a perfect example when saying, “At first I was a little scared but then I realized they aren’t really that different in age than us.”