Online Learning VS Face-to-Face Learning

During the global pandemic, Schertz Cibolo Universal City ISD parents were given the choice of having their child attend school face-to-face or participate remotely during the 2020-21 school year.

“I decided to go [to school] because in person schooling is easier for me then online, and I missed my friends,” explained sophomore Lena Adams.

While doing online school, students miss out on social interaction. Social interaction is very important because it helps people grow self esteem and build their identity.

Seth Becker, eighth grader said, “[I like online learning], because at the end of the day, I still have enough time to do the things I want to do.”

“I like that they can work at their own pace,” said parent Lani Becker.

One benefit of online learning is that you can go anywhere there is Wifi and do your work. For people who live in an area that school is not accessible, they can participate in online school without having to go anywhere.

“[Remote learning] was difficult for me. [It was hard] to focus and actually have the motivation to get my work done,” said Adams. 

In the United States, over 12 million children and teens rely on school lunch. Online school has not threatened their access to receive free meals, but it has made it difficult.

Becker said, “I can wake up at 9 a.m. and be finished with my work by noon.”

For some people, online learning is easier and they are more successful. It is a better platform for them, as opposed to those who need the social interaction at school.

Becker’s mother made the decision to keep her son home, “To protect him from possibly getting the virus.”

The community is focused on the school’s preparedness and if it’s following the protocols and safety measures. This is a very important factor because if schools are only having kids wear masks but not having students spread out in the classrooms, there would be no social distancing.

“[I’m happy] that I get to see my friends and that if I have an issue with a class, I can just ask my teacher instead of emailing or texting and having to wait for a response,” said Adams.

Both remote and face-to-face learning have their pros and cons. Online learning is safer and students may complete the work faster, but students miss out on the social aspect and have to wait for teachers to answer the questions. Face-to-face learning is direct. Students can ask questions and receive an answer immediately. They are also able to hang out and talk with their friends, but their chances of catching COVID-19 increases. Neither decision is bad, it just depends on what’s best for the learner.