Physical Activity Impacts Emotional Wellness

Are you ever in class with little energy? Poor nutrition and lack of exercise may be the reasoning.  

Mr.Castaneda, seventh grade math teacher said “I do think staying fit as a student is important, they should be fit because they are young and they want to live a long life.” 

We’ve read and heard over and over that people should aim for at least 30 minutes of physical activity everyday. We know that it is important, but do we make time for it? 

“Yes I workout three days out of the week. I wouldn’t call that a lot, but like it is more than other people,” Ella Frost, seventh grader said.

Many of us are active because we are in sports, but the research has shown that when we get to college, we decrease the amount of physical activity we get. Research also shows that we stop eating well because we have no one cooking for us and making sure we eat our veggies. 

According to acefitness.org, a shocking 95 percent of college students fail to eat the recommended amount of fruit and vegetables.

Some people make generalizations stating that students who are fit make better grades.

“No I do not think that because a student is fit that they will make better grades. I have all different sizes [of students] making all different types of grades. So the scatter plot shows that it is not associative,” Castaneda said. 

However, we all know that the research proves that staying fit will decrease our chances of getting diseases. 

Alexus Worthy, seventh grader said,  “Yes [my parents make sure I stay active], because my parents do not want me fat, they want me in shape.” 

Eating well and exercising has many benefits for a student, including a positive attitude, better grades, and increased energy for a good school day.